You use Dynamics 365 Business Central Bill Of Material (BOM) to structure parent items that must be assembled or produced by resources or machine centers from components. An assembly BOM can also be used to sell a parent item as a kit consisting of its components.
An assembly Dynamics 365 Business Central Bill Of Material (BOM) is the master data that describes which component items go into an assembled end item and which resources are used to assemble the assembly item.
Assembly Dynamics 365 Business Central Bill of Materials
- In Assembly BOMs or Production BOMs, you use assembly orders for creating end items from components in a simple process that can be performed by one or more basic resources, which are not machine or work centers, or without any resources.
- For example, an assembly process could be to pick two wine bottles and one coffee sack and then pack them as a gift item.
- When you enter an assembly item and the quantity in the header of a new assembly order, then the assembly order lines are automatically filled based on the assembly BOM with one assembly order line per component or resource.
- You use production orders for making end items from components in a complex process that requires a production routing and work or machine centers, which constitute the production capacities.
- For example, a production process could be to cut steel plates in one operation, weld them in the next operation, and paint the end item in the last operation.
- A production BOM is the master data that defines a production item and the components that go into it. For assembly items, the production Dynamics 365 Business Central Bill Of Material must be certified and assigned to the production item before it can be used in a production order.
- When you enter the production item on a production order line, either manually or by refreshing the order, then the production Dynamics 365 Business Central Bill Of Material content becomes the production order components.
- The idea of resources in production is much more advanced than in assembly management. Work centers and the machine centers function as the resources and the production steps are shown by operations that are assigned to resources in production routings.
- Both assembly orders and the production orders may be linked to the sales orders.
- Although, you can only use assembly orders to customize the end item directly for a customer request with the sales order.
To Create an Assembly BOM
To explain a parent item that consists of other items and potentially of resources required to put the parent together, you must create an assembly BOM.
Assembly Dynamics 365 Business Central Bill Of Material usually possess items but can also possess one or more resources that are necessary to put the assembly item together.
Assembly BOMs can have multiple levels, which means that a component on the assembly BOM can also be an assembly item itself. In that case, the Assembly BOM (Bill Of Material) field on the assembly BOM line has Yes. Special requirements apply to items on assembly BOMs with regards to availability.
There are two parts to creating an assembly BOM:
- Setting up a new item
- Defining the BOM structure of the assembly item.
- Set up a new item. Begin to enter the components or resources on the assembly BOM.
- On the Item Card page for an assembly item, choose the Assembly action, and then choose the Assembly BOM action.
- On the Assembly BOM page, enter the fields as necessary. Hover over a field to read a short description.
To View the Components of an Assembly Item Indented According to the BOM Structure
From the Assembly BOM page, you can open a separate page that shows the components and any resources indented according to their BOM position under the assembly item.
- Choose the search icon, enter Items, and then choose the related link.
- Open the card for an assembly item.
- On the Item Card page, choose the Assembly action, and then choose the Assembly BOM action.
- On the Assembly BOM page, select the Show BOM action.
To Replace the Assembly Item with its Components on Document Lines
From any sales and purchase document that contains an assembly item, you can use a special function to change the line for the assembly item with fresh lines for its components. This function is helpful, for example, if you are going to sell the components as a kit that represents the assembly item.
The following procedure is based on a sales invoice. The similar steps also apply to different sales documents and to all purchase documents.
- In the top right corner, select the Search for Page or Report icon, enter Sales Invoices and then choose the related link.
- Open a sales invoice that possesses a line for an assembly item.
- Choose the line for an assembly item, and then Explode BOM line action.
All fields on the sales invoice line for the assembly item are removed except for the Item and Description fields. All sales invoice lines are inserted for the components and possible resources that comprise the assembly item.
To Calculate the Standard Cost of an Assembly Item
You calculate the unit cost of an assembly item by rolling up the unit cost of each component and resource in the items assembly BOM.
You can also calculate and update the standard cost for one or many items on the Standard Cost Worksheet page. The unit cost of an assembly Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Bill Of Material always equals the total of the unit costs of its components, including the other assembly BOMs and any resources.
- In the top right corner, select the Search for Page or Report icon, enter Items and then choose the related link.
- Open the card for an assembly item.
- On the Item Card page, select the Assembly action and then choose the Assembly BOM action.
- On the Assembly BOM page, choose the Calc. Standard Cost action.
- Select one of the following options, and then choose the OK button.
The costs of the items that make up the assembly BOM are copied from the component item cards. The cost of each item is multiplied by the volume and the total cost is shown in the Unit Cost field on the item card. For more information on Dynamics 365 Business Central Bill Of Material, please contact us.