You can use the Microsoft Dynamics AX Data migration tool (DMT) to migrate your data from the AX to Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations. Using the DMT is the only supported upgrade path from the AX to Finance and Operations. The DMT helps you find and fill the gaps between the table schemas of AX and Finance and Operations, as well as helping you move your data.
The following illustration describes the architecture of the DMT, and how data from the source system is processed and moved to the target system (Finance and Operations).
Data migration process
The following illustration shows the overall process of collecting and preparing the data in your AX instance and then importing the AX Data Migration into your Finance and Operations environment.
Before you can use the DMT to export data from the source environment, you must complete the following pre-processing tasks:
- Mapping the table fields between the source and the target environments
- Applying conversions to the source data
- Setting up default values for the source data
- Applying query filters
Because there can be multiple legal entities in the source system, you must select the legal entities that contain the data to migrate. For selected legal entities, you can review the source tables and their row counts. You can also view any virtual companies. Finally, you can analyze the virtual companies that legal entities are attached to and the related tables.
Successful AX Data Migration of exported data requires that a source table be mapped to an equivalent target data entity. You set up the mapping by using a Microsoft Excel mapping file that allows for automatic mapping of the source and the target fields of each table. The mapping file also includes data from the Finance and Operations schema of the data entities and the default data that is required in some tables.
Before you can start AX Data Migration to Finance and Operations, you must complete the following tasks to meet the migration requirements:
- Select the target dimensions that correspond to the source dimensions that are populated based on the selected legal entities.
- Review inventory dimensions that are included with the selected legal entities.
- Select the chart of accounts for each legal entity, or consolidate the multiple legal entities into a single chart of accounts.
- Complete the basic ledger setup.
- Apply the data conversions to the source data, based on the extended data type (EDT) of the field.
Install the AX Data migration tool
This topic explains how to set up the AX Data Migration tool (DMT) so that you can migrate data from Microsoft Dynamics AX to Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016.
- The Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.5 or later.
- Microsoft SQL Server machine that has the Microsoft SQL 2012 Native Client installed.
- Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) service is installed and running on the machine where DMT service will be installed.
- The SQL Server authentication must support both SQL authentication and Microsoft Windows authentication.
- Microsoft Access database engines that follow version guidance in the following table.
SQL Server 2008 SQL Server 2012 and later No Microsoft Office on VM The Access engine 32-bit Access engine 64-bit Microsoft Office 32-bit The Access engine 32-bit Access engine 64-bit Microsoft Office 64-bit The Access engine 32-bit and 64-bit Access engine 64-bit
- Microsoft Dynamics AX SP1 5.0.1000.52 or later.
- The prerequisite patch (axpatch.exe) installed. To find the patch, from the location where you downloaded and extracted the zip file, go to the <pre-requisiteforpatch><application>.
Install DIXF service
- Go to the location where you extracted the zip file, and then, in DIXF MSI folder, right-click DIXF_Service_x64.msi, and select Run.
- When the wizard starts, select Next.
- Accept the license terms, and then select Next.
- Select an account for the service, and then click Next. The account should have admin rights. If you select the Network Service check box, verify that the network service account has the admin rights. Otherwise, clear the check box, and then enter an admin account user name and password. Then select Next.
- Select SQL Server version, and then click Next.
- Select the Install, and then, when the wizard is completed, select Finish.
Go to the location where you extracted the zip file, and copy the following files to Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50\Client\Bin folder:
Install DMT components for AX
There are two ways to install the DMT. You can use the combined XPO file or the application hotfix. If you’re using a Microsoft Dynamics Life Cycle Services (LCS) Implementation project, use application hotfix. Installation takes approximately seven hours.
Combined XPO file
- Extract the combined XPO file from DMT_V1.0\CombinedXPO.
- Import the combined XPO file into AX.
- Copy the label file from DMT_V1.0\Label file to the Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50\Application\Appl\<NameOfYourDeployment> folder.
- Restart the Application Object Server (AOS) instance.
- In AX, select Data migration > Setup > Compile and synchronize DMT application.
- Go to DMT_V1.0\ApplicationHotfix\DynamicsAX-KB4010403-SP1, right-click setup.exe, and then select Run.
- In AX, in the Application Object Tree (AOT), notice that the LegalEntityId field has been added to the DMTCustomerAddressView and DMTVendorAddressView views.
- Select the Data migration > Setup > Compile and synchronize DMT application.
Go to the location to where you extracted the zip file, and find the defaultvalue.xlsx.
- In AX, select Data migration > Setup > Configure default maps, and enter the appropriate information in the following fields:
- The Default configuration – Enter the path of the Microsoft Excel file.
- The Export file path – Enter the server path that can be accessed by the service.
- SQL Server user and password – Enter the SQL authentication credentials for the AX database.
- Close the form.
- The DIXF service host – Enter the hostname of the DIXF service installation.
- The Tenant URL – Enter the Finance and Operations URL. If you aren’t sure of the tenant, see the Finance and Operations web.config file. Under Setup, select Configure connections, and enter the appropriate information on the following fields:
For the multi-box setup, you must have the following machines:
- Machine A, where the AX database and DIXF service are installed
- Machine B, where the AX AOS instance is installed
- Machine C, where the AX client is installed
In this three-machine setup, machine C is configured to connect to the AOS instance on machine B. The Machine B is connected to the database that is configured on machine A.
DIXF service machine prerequisites (machine A)
The DIXF service on machine A has the following prerequisites:
- SQL Server 2008/2012/2014
- The .NET Framework version 4.5
- Access database engines
- For the SQL Server 2008: Access engine 32-bit and 64-bit (if Microsoft Excel is 64-bit)
- For the SQL Server 2012 or later: Access engine 64-bit
- AX database (configured on SQL Server)
AOS machine prerequisites (machine B)
The AOS installation on machine B has the following prerequisites:
- AX AOS Server
- Application files
Client machine prerequisites (machine C)
The client installation on machine C has the following prerequisites:
- AX client
Shared folder permissions
The path of the default configuration file and the export package file should be shared, and the client users and the DIXF service should have read/write access to these files. To grant this access, select the Data migration > Setup > Configure and generate maps, and then select Validate path to verify that the required access is available.
Set up parameters
- Select Data migration > Setup > Configure connections.
- In DIXF service host field, enter the name of the remote machine where the DIXF service is installed. By default, the name is localhost.
- Select the Validate to validate that the client can access the DIXF service.
If you receive an error message that states, the “DIXF service is unavailable,” complete the following workaround to enable a service connection for port 7000.
- Open the port 7000, and then, for inbound rules on the DMT service machine, select Firewall settings, and then select Run > wf.msc.
- Select the Inbound Rules > New rule, and then, on the Rule Type tab, select Port, and then select Next.
- Inside the Specific local ports field, enter 7000, and then select Next.
- Select Allow the connection, and then select Next.
- Select all the three checkboxes to apply all the rules, and then select Next.
- Enter the name of the rule, and then select Finish.
- Repeat these steps for outbound rules.
AX migration – Generate maps
Before you can migrate your data from Microsoft Dynamics AX to Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, you must align your source data with your target environment. This topic explains how to generate source-to-target mappings.
Before you can generate the maps, you must provide the target URL, tenant URL, and service app ID to validate the connection.
Before you generate the data maps between the source and the target environments, you must install the Data migration tool (DMT).
Follow these steps to generate maps for data migration between AX and Finance and Operations.
- In AX, in the navigation pane, go to Data migration > Setup > Configure connections.
- Review the field information to verify that it’s correct, and then select Validate.
- After the validation is completed, close the form.
- Under Setup, click Configure and generate maps.
- Verify that the information in the form is correct, and then select the Validate path.
- After validation is completed, click Generate maps.
AX migration – Create package templates
Packages are created by following a predefined sequence. This sequence is based on dependencies that the data entities have on each another. Because of these dependencies, when you import the data entities into Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, you must import the data entities in the defined order. Otherwise, you might encounter the issues during import and configuration.
Data Migration Tool (DMT) provides twenty predefined templates that are shown in the following illustration.
You can either customize an existing template, or you can create your own templates as you require.
Follow these steps to view and select the entity lists that will be used in the templates for the migration.
- In Microsoft Dynamics AX, click Data migration > Common forms > Entity list, and then click Apply sequence. Close the message box.
- Verify that correct legal entity is selected, and then, in the Show field, select to view either all entities or only those entities that should be considered for migration.
- In the Template Name field, select a template.
- Inside the Module selected pane, select the module that contains the data entities to migrate.
- On the Entity details tab, select the Select for migration checkbox for every entity line that you want to migrate.
- Click Apply sequence.
- To create the customized template, in the Application Object Tree, go to Resources, and create a new template in XML format.
AX migration – Create migration groups
When you create the definition for migration, you determine which entities should be packaged and exported together, and then put all the entities together in a migration group.
An AX Data Migration group is a set of entities that must be processed in a sequence, or that can logically be grouped together. The entities in the migration group are exported together, either from the source to staging or directly to a file package. In the migration group, you also associate legal entities. Migration groups must be set up before you begin the export process.
Follow these steps to create an AX Data Migration group.
- In Microsoft Dynamics AX, in the navigation pane, click Data Migration > Common Forms > Create migration group.
- In the Migration group form, press CTRL+N or click New to create the new migration group.
- Enter a name for the migration group. Then press Tab to move to the Company field, and select the Select company.
- In the Select company accounts form, select one or more companies to add to the migration group, and then select OK.
- In the Migration group form, click Entity, and select the lines to include in migration.
- Fill in any gaps in field mapping, as required.
- Click Apply sequence, and then close the form.
AX migration – Export packages
You can use the Data Import/Export Framework (DIXF) service in Microsoft Dynamics AX to retrieve data that must be migrated to Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations. The export process is completed through the job ID. When you export, you can specify how to export job is defined. You can select the source data to export, conversion value, and field mapping. You can also apply the query to each source to limit what is exported.
The export package that the AX Data Migration tool (DMT) generates can consist of one or many data entities. A typical data package consists of a group of entities for a specific task, such as import. For example, the data entities that are required for the system setup might be part of one data package. The format of the data package is a compressed file that contains a package manifest, a package header, and any additional files for the data entities that are included.
Before you create the data package, plan out what should be included. In this way, you help guarantee that correct entity, entity sequence, and the fields are included.
Follow these steps to export the data package.
- In Dynamics AX, in the navigation pane, click Data migration > Common > Create migration group.
- In the Migration group form, select the migration group to export, and then select the Export now.
- In the Export data form, update the export file path as required, and then select OK.
AX migration – Import packages
Data can be imported for a group of logically related entities that are sequenced in the correct order. You have three options for importing Microsoft Dynamics AX Data Migration that you want to migrate to Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations:
You can import data for AX Data Migration directly from the source system. Follow these steps.
- In Dynamics AX, in the navigation pane, click Data migration.
- Go to Common > Create a migration group.
- Inside the Migration group form, select the migration group to export, and then click Export now.
- Inside the Export data form, select the Import package in the target check box, and then click OK.
Finance and Operations
You can import data for AX Data Migration by using your Finance and Operations environment. Follow these steps.
- Sign in to your Finance and Operations environment by using the Administrator role.
- On the dashboard, select the Data Management Workspace.
- Select Import.
- Enter the name of the package, and then, in the Source data format field, select the Package.
- Select Upload, and then select the appropriate package file from the location for which the data that is being imported. All the files from the package are imported.