Before you can start using sales opportunities, you must perform D365 Opportunity Sales Cycles and Cycle Stages Setup. A sales cycle contains a series of stages that go from the initial contact to the closing of a sale.
Each stage can have certain requirements that must be met, such as needing a sales quote, before an opportunity can go to the next stage. You can also mention whether a stage can be skipped.
You can setup as many sales cycles as you need and you can set up as many sales cycle stages as necessary within a sales cycle. Implementing opportunity sales cycles contains setting up the sales cycle, defining the different stages of the cycle, and then assigning the cycle to opportunities.
Assigning the relevant D365 Opportunity Sales Cycles and Cycle Stages Setup activity or tasks to the opportunity can also be part of setting up a sales cycle. This article also describes how to set up tasks and activities and how to assign tasks to activities.
D365 Opportunity Sales Cycles and Cycle Stages Setup Process
1. To Setup Opportunity Sales Cycle Codes
- Choose the search icon, enter Sales Cycles, and then choose the related link. The Sales Cycles page opens and displays all the existing sales cycles.
- Choose the New action, and fill in the fields as necessary. Go over a field to read a short description.
Replicate these steps to set up as many sales cycles as you want. After you have set up opportunity sales cycles, you may want to set up the different stages within each cycle.
2. To Define Opportunity Sales Cycle Stages
- On the Sales Cycles page, select the opportunity sales cycle for which you want to set up stages and then choose the Stages action. The Sales Cycle Stages page displays.
- Select the New action to enter a new stage in the sales cycle.
Repeat these steps to set up as many stages as you want within the sales cycle.
3. To Assign Stage Cycles to Opportunities
After you add the opportunities stage cycle, you can start to add sales opportunities, and then assign the stage cycle to opportunities by setting the Sales Cycle Code field.
4. To Setup Activities with Tasks
You can combine multiple task, for example tasks that each represent a step, in activities. Activity tasks are associated to each other by a date formula. You can assign activities to opportunities, salespeople, or contacts.
- Choose the search icon, enter Activities, and then choose the related link.
- Choose the New action, and fill in the fields as necessary.
- On the Lines FastTab, fill in the fields as necessary to define one or more tasks in the activity.
5. To Assign Tasks or Activities of Tasks to Opportunities
This D365 Opportunity Sales Cycles and Cycle Stages Setup procedure describes how to assign activity tasks to opportunities. the steps are similar when you assign tasks to salespeople and contacts.
When you have set up a task, you can assign it to a sales opportunity and thereby assign the activity that the task belongs to.
- Choose the search icon, enter Opportunities and then choose the related link.
- Select an opportunity, and then choose the Tasks action.
- On the Task List page, choose the Create Task action.
- The Create Task page, fill in the fields as necessary.
Notice in the Opportunity field, that it is automatically assigned to the opportunity in question.
- Choose the OK button.
- On the Task List page, select the new task, and then choose the Assign Activities action.
- On the Assign Activity page, fill in the fields as necessary and then choose the OK button.
Create Sales Opportunities
You can create opportunities for the sales opportunities you have on your contacts. All opportunities must be assigned to a salesperson or purchaser and must have a contact.
1. To Create an Opportunity from a Salesperson
- Choose the search icon, enter Salespeople and then choose the related link.
- Select the salesperson from the list for whom you want to create an opportunity.
- Choose the Opportunities action, and then choose List.
- Choose New, and then fill in the fields as relevant. Hover over a field to read a short description.
2. To Create an Opportunity from a Contact
- Choose the search icon, enter Contacts, and then choose the related link.
- Select the contact from the list for whom you want to create an opportunity.
- Do one of the following:
- Choose the Create Opportunity action.
- Choose the Opportunities action and then choose New.
- Fill in the relevant fields.
You can create opportunities from the Opportunity List page. But normally you will create opportunities from the specific contact or salespeople. Before you can create opportunities, you must setup Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central opportunity sales cycles.
For more information on D365 Opportunity Sales Cycles and Cycle Stages Setup in Business Central, please contact us.