This post explains about Microsoft D365 Business Central Licensing. Dynamics 365 Business Central fits the wants of midsize businesses with core business needs. It supports the company to connect the financials, sales, purchase, inventory, projects, service, and the operations.
With MS D365 Business Central, you must license at least one of MS Dynamics 365 Business Central Essentials or D365 Business Central Premium users. Additional access to the service functionality by other users is licensed with Dynamics 365 Business Central Team Members.
Subscription Microsoft D365 Business Central Licensing Requirements
Licensing Requirements for Internal Users
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central has two types of SLs:
User SL: The primary licensing is by User SLs, which are assigned on a “named user” basis, meaning each user requires a separate User SL named user subscription. User SLs cannot be shared, but the individual with a User SL may access the service through many devices. The D365 Business Central user subscriptions classify users into the following types:
- Full users: are the users whose work wants the use of the feature-rich business applications
functionality. Examples of the full users are salespeople, customer service representatives, finance
employees, controllers, and the supply chain managers. These users have also been referred to in the
past as Professional users or Power Users. These full users are licensed with a Dynamics 365
Business Central subscription.
- Additional users: often represent a significant percentage of users in an organization and may
consume data or reports from the line of business systems, complete light tasks like time or expense entry and HR record updates or be heavier users of the system, but not require full user
capabilities. These additional users are licensed with Dynamics 365 Business Central Team Members
Device SL: With Device SL any number of users can access a licensed device with individual logins without the need for separate User SL. If individual users share one login, their individual users cannot be tracked. Dynamics 365 Business Central device license is a limited license with a subset of Business Central capabilities.
Since Dynamics 365 Business Central may be licensed with User or Device SL, only the user or the device requires an SL, but not both. If the user of a device is licensed with the User SL, then the device does not want a Device SL. Likewise, if the device is licensed with the Device SL, then the user does not require a User SL. Customers can mix both User and Device SLs.
Licensing Requirements for External Users
- External users are end customers and third-party users of the organization or its affiliates and do not
require SLs to access Microsoft Dynamics 365.
- External user access is added with the organization’s internal user SLs.
- External users cannot use any clients provided by the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central
Application Programming Interface (API), such as the Windows client, the Web Client, the Windows, the iPad or iPhone app, or the Android application.
- In addition, external users include off-site vendors, not on an employee-like relationship with the
organization or its affiliates.
- However, external user access does not expand to the customer or the customer’s affiliate’s contractors, vendors, or agents giving business processes on the customer’s behalf or using Microsoft Dynamics 365 to manage any portions of their business.
- In this sense, the customer may not use Microsoft Dynamics 365 to provide business process outsourcing services to its clients.
1. Dynamics 365 Business Central
Subscriptions are named the user subscriptions where a user is licensed for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Essentials or Dynamics 365 Business Central Premium. The following application is part of Dynamics 365 Business Central: PowerApps for Dynamics 365.
2. Business Central Application
Dynamics 365 Business Central is a comprehensive business management solution for SMBs. The
Dynamics 365 Business Central application can be licensed in two ways:
Dynamics 365 Business Central Essentials:
- Financial Management
- Customer Relationship Management
- Project Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Human Resources Management
- Warehouse Management
- Dynamics 365 Business Central Premium:
- Everything in Essentials
- Service Management
Dynamics 365 Business Central Applications include the “PowerApps for Dynamics 365 Applications”
license. D365 Business Central users can use the PowerApps to access Microsoft Dynamics 365 within the bounds of their D365 Business Central Essentials or Premium license.
Dynamics 365 Business Central includes at no charge, 3 External Accountant licenses for the customers who have external accountants who wish to connect to their D365 Business Central application. External Accountant Licenses contain all the same user rights as Microsoft D365 Business Central license except for the following: Access to the user set up or admin tasks and any other Dynamics 365 Business Central application.