Network of MS Dynamics D365, AX, NAV, GP, SL, CRM, RMS, POS professionals › Forums › Microsoft Dynamics AX / Axapta › AX Developers › How to Upgrade Enterprise Portal for Microsoft Dynamics AX? › Reply To: How to Upgrade Enterprise Portal for Microsoft Dynamics AX?
Hello Abu Mohammed Ali,
The Data upgrade checklist automatically upgrades Enterprise Portal from Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 and Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Feature Pack to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2.
• The Data upgrade checklist automatically upgrades Enterprise Portal ASP.NET pages from Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2.
• If your business or organization currently uses Enterprise Portal on Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 or earlier versions, you must upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 before you can upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2. Also be aware that the Enterprise Portal framework in Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 supported X++ objects, whereas the Enterprise Portal framework in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2 supports only ASP.NET objects, not X++ objects. After you upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2, the Data upgrade checklist creates a list of all X++ objects that you must manually convert to ASP.NET before the objects can work with the Enterprise Portal framework in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012. For more information, see Framework Changes.
• The Data upgrade checklist does not change any Enterprise Portal parameters.
• The Data upgrade checklist and Enterprise Portal Setup manage all changes to the Web.config file. If your earlier implementation of Enterprise Portal was configured to connect to a different Application Object Server (AOS) by using an .axc file, this configuration is upgraded automatically.
• Enterprise Portal Setup automatically upgrades themes and style sheets. If you modified a style sheet for your earlier implementation of Enterprise Portal, merge the changes when you run the Data upgrade checklist, before you run Enterprise Portal Setup.
• The Data upgrade checklist identifies proxy files and user controls that must be updated before they can work with Enterprise Portal for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2. You must resolve code differences in the proxy files and recompile user controls so that the proxy files and user controls work with Enterprise Portal.
• Settings for end user personalization and customization of Enterprise Portal must be reset after the upgrade.
Before you upgrade
You must complete the following tasks before you upgrade Enterprise Portal. Otherwise, the upgrade fails.
1. Verify that you are a site administrator in SharePoint for the existing Enterprise Portal site.
2. Use Internet Information Services (IIS) manager to configure the site for Integrated Windows authentication, or NTLM authentication. The upgrade process for Enterprise Portal fails if an Enterprise Portal site is configured to use anonymous authentication. After the site is upgraded, you can configure the site for anonymous authentication. For information about how to configure authentication in IIS, see the online documentation for IIS.
3. You must complete the Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2 Data upgrade checklist before you upgrade Enterprise Portal. The Data upgrade checklist makes important changes to data and Enterprise Portal objects. These changes are described later in this topic.
4. Enterprise Portal for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2 requires either Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 or Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010. You must upgrade earlier versions of SharePoint to one of these versions before you upgrade Enterprise Portal.
Upgrade Enterprise Portal
This section describes how to upgrade an Enterprise Portal site. You must complete the procedures in this section in the following order:
1. Use SharePoint Central Administration to create a new Web application.
2. Install Enterprise Portal on the new Web application.
3. Attach the content database from your Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 Enterprise Portal site to the new Web application.
4. Resolve URL conflicts.
5. Reinstall Enterprise Portal to start the code upgrade.
Install Enterprise Portal on the new Web application
Use the following procedure to install Enterprise Portal on the new Web application.
1. Start Microsoft Dynamics AX Setup.
2. Advance through the first wizard pages.
3. On the Modify Microsoft Dynamics AX installation page, select Add or modify components. Click Next.
4. On the Add or modify components page, expand Server Components, expand Web Server Components, and then select Enterprise Portal (EP). Click Next.
5. On the Specify Business Connector proxy account information page, enter the domain\username and password for the service account. Click Next.
6. On the Configure a Web site for Enterprise Portal page, select the existing Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 Enterprise Portal site.
7. Select the Configure for Windows SharePoint Services option so that Setup can configure the application pool to run under the Business Connector proxy account. Setup can also set the authentication method to Windows NTLM.
8. Clear the Create Web site option. If you select this option, Setup upgrades your Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 Enterprise Portal site and creates an additional site.
9. On the Ready to install page, click Install.
10. Complete the wizard. Setup can take up to one hour to complete the upgrade and installation.
Attach the content database from your Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 Enterprise Portal site to the new Web application
To retain content from an earlier version of Enterprise Portal and display that content in your Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2 Enterprise Portal site, you must attach the old content database to your new Web application.
Resolve URL conflicts
Delete the old site in the Microsoft Dynamics AX client by using the Web sites form. Click System administration > Setup > Enterprise Portal > Web sites.
After you delete the old site, click Register site, and then enter the information about the new site. Repeat this process until you have registered each site. If you need help finding information about your sites, open SharePoint Central Administration, and then click Application Management > View all site collections. If necessary, use the Web Application list to select the application that hosts your Enterprise Portal sites.
Reinstall Enterprise Portal to upgrade the code
Reinstall Enterprise Portal on the new Web application so that the site upgrades the Enterprise Portal code. Repeat the installation process that is described earlier in this topic.
After you upgrade Enterprise Portal
After the installation and upgrade are finished, follow these steps:
1. If you upgraded an Enterprise Portal site that uses anonymous authentication, and you configured the site for Integrated Windows, or NTLM, authentication at the start of the upgrade process, you can now reconfigure the site for anonymous authentication. For information about how to configure authentication, see the online documentation for IIS.
2. Verify that existing permissions for SharePoint and Microsoft Dynamics AX were retained during the upgrade process.
3. Test the upgraded site on a staging server before you move the site into a production environment.