Network of MS Dynamics D365, AX, NAV, GP, SL, CRM, RMS, POS professionals › Forums › Microsoft Dynamics AX / Axapta › AX Installation & Administration › Installing upgrade framework files in AX › Reply To: Installing upgrade framework files in AX
Hello Abu Mohammed Ali,
The Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 upgrade process requires manual installation of three files on your source Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 or Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 system. An XPO file provides the forms and scripts that are required for data preprocessing, an ALD file provides user interface labels, and a CHM file provides user Help.
Install and import the XPO upgrade framework file
The preprocessing XPO file installs an upgrade framework containing the following components:
1. The Preprocessing upgrade checklist
2. The user-input forms opened by the items in the checklist
3. The preprocessing upgrade scripts
4. Changes to the upgrade cockpit for upgrade readiness, live preprocessing, live delta preprocessing, and final preprocessing in single-user mode
To install the preprocessing XPO on the Microsoft Dynamics AX source system, do the following:
1. Open the Application Object Tree (AOT) from its icon on the toolbar.
2. (Optional.) It is advisable to make sure that the Application Object Directory (AOD) is synchronized with the Microsoft Dynamics AX database schema before you begin to import of the XPO. Synchronize them as follows:
• Right-click Data Dictionary, and then click Synchronize.
Synchronization may take several minutes.
3. Click the import icon on the AOT menu bar.
4. In the Import dialog box, click Browse. The XPO is located in the DatabaseUpgrade\XPO folder of the Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Cumulative Update you downloaded earlier. The XPO file that you import depends on the Microsoft Dynamics AX source system that you are upgrading from.
• On a Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 source system, import UpgradeAX4.xpo.
• On a Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 source system, import UpgradeAX5.xpo.
5. In the Import dialog box, make sure that the option Import with ID values is cleared.
6. Click OK.
7. In the Import message box, click Yes to all when you are prompted to continue the import.
8. During synchronization, the Problems during synchronization message box may warn you that tables will be dropped. You should be aware of what objects are being over-written so that you can stop the process if necessary and merge your custom code with the XPO code for objects common to them both. To allow an object to be overwritten, click yes.
Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 automatically performs multiple compilation passes to make sure that validation is successful.
Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 does not automatically perform multiple compilation passes. If you import the preprocessing XPO into Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0, you may have to manually recompile the application until no compilation errors are returned.
Install the ALD label file
1. On your installation media, navigate to the folder DatabaseUpgrade\ALD folder and locate the ALD label file that you plan to use. Your choice will depend on the default language that you want to install. For example, the file axUPGen-us.ald provides labels in United States English for the upgrade framework forms. Each language and language region that is supported by Microsoft Dynamics AX has its own ALD file.
2. Copy axUPGen-us.ald (or other selected ALD file) to the label folder on your source system.
• On a typical Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 system, copy the file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics AX\40\Application\Appl\Standard\.
• On a typical Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 system, copy the file to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50\Application\Appl\Standard\.
3. Restart the application object server.
Install the CHM file for user Help
1. Locate the file UpgradePreprocessing.chm in the DatabaseUpgrade\CHM folder on your installation media.
2. Copy the file to the appropriate directory on your Microsoft Dynamics AX source system.
• On a Microsoft Dynamics AX 4.0 system, copy the file to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics AX\40\Client\Bin\Help\EN-US\.
• On a Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009 system, copy the file to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics AX\50\Client\Bin\Help\EN-US\.
Microsoft Dynamics AX has other upgrade scripts that are different than those documented in UpgradePreprocessing.chm.