Network of MS Dynamics D365, AX, NAV, GP, SL, CRM, RMS, POS professionals › Forums › Microsoft Dynamics NAV / Navision › NAV Consulting and Configuration › Enabling Configuration Mode in NAV 2017
February 21, 2019 at 5:11 am #12068
How to Enable Configuration Mode in NAV 2017?February 25, 2019 at 11:33 am #12451
Configuration mode is a setting in Microsoft Dynamics NAV that allows you to customize the user interface (UI) for a role. It will enable an Administrator or Super User to customize a profile themselves and then assign it to different users. That way, the users (especially novice users) will not have to go through the pain of customizing their profile, but allow someone else to customize it for them.
Follow the steps in this article to enabling Configuration Mode.
Please note that when you are in this mode, all the modifications you make will be applied to everyone that will be assigned this role.
Open Profiles page (Departments/Administration/Application Setup/RoleTailored Client/Profiles).
Select the profile that you would like to use as a template, for example: BOOKKEEPER.
Click Copy Profile action.
Specify New Profile ID, say TMPL_BOOKKEEPER.
This step is meant to preserve the default profile roles offered in Microsoft Dynamics NAV. By copying a profile and then modifying that copy will ensure that the original profile will remain the same.
Once the new Profile appears in the list, close NAV.
Create Dynamics NAV Shortcut
Browse to the location where Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Server.exe application is available on your system. Usually available at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\100\RoleTailored Client.
Right-click and Send to, Desktop. This will create a shortcut on your desktop.
Change Properties of NAV Shortcut
Right-click on the newly created shortcut and click Properties.
Click on the Shortcut tab.
In the Target field, type the following at the end (with space):
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\100\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe” -configure -profile:”TMPL_BOOKKEEPER”
Edit the Profile
Now when you double-click on the NAV shortcut, it will open Dynamics NAV in configuration mode.
Now you can go ahead and customize the user interface. For more information, refer to Customize the User Interface on MSDN.
Once you have done customizing the profile in configuration mode, you can assign the new profile to relevant users using the User Personalization card page in Dynamics NAV.
Once you have completed the steps exit the configuration mode.
NOTE: Every time that you enter through the Configuration Shortcut, whatever personal customizations you do will impact all the other users who are assigned to this profile.
Next time that the users open Dynamics NAV, their user interface will be changed as per your configuration.March 11, 2019 at 7:12 am #12870
Here are the steps to enabling Configuration Mode. While you are in this mode, all of the modifications you make will be applied to everyone that will be assigned this particular role.
1) In NAV, navigate to the Profiles List:
1. <Company Name>/Departments/Administration/Application Setup/RoleTailored Client/Profiles
2. Select the Profile that you would like to use as a template (e.g. Project Manager)
3. In the Actions Ribbon, click Copy Profile
a) This will prompt you to name the new Profile
b) Please note that this step is meant to preserve the default profile roles offered in Dynamics NAV. By copying a profile and then modifying that copy, this will ensure that the
original profile role will remain the same.
2) Once the new Profile appears in the list, close NAV.
3) Create a new NAV shortcut:
1. In File Explorer, navigate to the Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client Icon. Since NAV is installed directly on my computer, I navigated using this directory C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\71\RoleTailored Client
2. Right, Click Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client Icon, create Shortcut (to Desktop)
4) Open the Properties of the newly created shortcut icon.
1. Under the Shortcut menu in the ribbon in the Target field, enter the following text at the end of the directory: -configure -profile:”revised project manager”
a) Notice that the ProfileID is exactly the same that was created in NAV.
b) The text in the Target field should have the following:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\71\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe” -configure -profile:”revised project manager”
5) Rename the Shortcut icon so that you will know it is in Configuration Mode.
1. E.g. I renamed it: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client – Revised_Project_Manager Config Role
6) Double click the Configuration Mode icon and it will take you into Configuration Mode in NAV. Notice in the top right corner that you are now in Configuration Mode.
7) Now, you can customize the User Interface:
1. Once you are finished customizing, assign the users to the new role
a) Navigate to: <Company Name>/Departments/Administration/Application Setup/RoleTailored Client/User Personalization
b) Double-click User ID
c) Select the new Profile ID
8) Exit out of Configuration Mode.
1. Please be mindful that every time that you enter through the Configuration Shortcut, whatever personal customizations you do will impact all the other users who are assigned to
9) Next time that the users enter NAV, their UI will be changed according to your configuration.
- This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Paul.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.