Upgrade from AX 2012 R2 CU7 to AX 2012 R3 CU12

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Locus IT 1 year ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Saurabh
    Participant

We are planning to upgrade from AX 2012 R2 CU7 to AX 2012 R3 CU12.

However, currently the SQL Server being used in the production environment is SQL 2008 R2 SP2 and as per MS document we need to upgrade SQL server to SQL 2008 R2 SP3.

Could anyone confirm if we can carry out the SQL upgrade activity as part of AX upgrade?

Chloe Jacobs
    Participant

Hi Saurabh,

The official system requirements state that SQL 2016 is compatible with AX 2012 R3 CU12 or higher.

You should not experience any problems migrating your DB from a lower to a higher SQL version. But do know that once the database has run under the newer version it’s impossible to downgrade! You cannot restore a backup from a higher version on a lower one.

Keep that in mind, if you have your TAP environment with one SQL server.

Locus IT
    Participant

Hello Saurabh,

I don’t see anything wrong with your planning. You can also swap step 2 and 3, so that first import database on TEST and then upgrade SQL. I haven’t seen any issue for minor upgrade of SQL (sp2 to SP3). But I would add that as you are currently on R2-CU7, you need to take care of few things such as DIXF, you need to remove that from installation as DIXF is available in standard R3 installations.

Also I have seen DIXF service to crash with few versions of SQL. I can remember SQL server 2012 SP2. You need to watch how your SQL version will be at supporting DIXF service. Test it well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar