Dynamics 365 Playbook Templates provide users with guidance on recurring tasks in which consistent actions are expected. Playbooks can also contain the best practices based on practices that have worked in similar situations before.
Playbooks in Dynamics 365 for Sales provides the guidance to team members on actions to take on events such as a decision maker leaving the organization while the team is working on a deal with the decision maker.
Creating Dynamics 365 Playbook Templates
- Make sure you have the Playbook administrator role or the equivalent permissions.
- Select the site map icon, select the More options icon, and then select the App Settings.
- Select Playbook Templates.
- In the Playbook Template form, enter the following details, and then click Save:
a. Category. Select the category for which you want the playbook template to be created. Think of the category as an event or an issue that you want to address using this template.
b. Name. Enter a descriptive name for the template.
c. Track progress. Select whether to track the progress of the playbook by creating activities under a playbook, which is in turn linked to the record type the playbook applies to.
For example, if you have a template created for an opportunity, and you set the Track Progress to Yes, all playbook activities are created under the playbook that is launched from the opportunity record in the following hierarchy: The Opportunity record > playbook record > activities.
If you set this to No, the playbook activities are created directly under opportunity record in the following hierarchy: Opportunity record > activities.
d. Estimated duration (days). Enter the estimated duration in days to indicate the time it may take to complete the playbook template once it is launched.
- In the Select record types that this playbook applies to section, the Available for box lists all the entities that are enabled for using the playbooks. Select and move the record types to which the current playbook template applies intoApplies to box.
The playbook capability is currently only enabled on the Lead, Quote, Opportunity, Order, and Invoice record types. As a playbook manager, when you create a playbook template, you can select which entity that the playbook applies to.
- In the Playbook Activities section, select the Add Activity, and then select the activity you want to create.
For example, if the playbook is defined for an event in which a decision maker leaves the organization while working with the sales person, you may create a phone call record to make a call to the new decision maker, and fix the appointment.
- In the Quick create form of the activity, enter the following information, and then click Save:
- Subject. Type a short description of the objective of the activity.
- Description. Type the additional information to describe the playbook activity.
- Relative due date (days). Enter a number of days in which the activity will be due. The number of days is counted from the launch date of the playbook. This field is available only for the task and phone call activities.
- Relative due time (hours). Enter the time when activity will be due.
- Relative start date (days). Enter the number of days in which activity must start. This date is relative to when the playbook is to be launched.
- Relative start time. Enter the time of day when an activity must start.
- Relative end date (days). Enter the number of days by which activity must end. This date is relative to when the playbook is to be launched.
- Relative end time. Enter the time of day when an activity must end.
- Duration. If you’re creating a task or a phone call, select the duration for the task or the phone call activity.
- Priority. Select the priority of the activity.
- In the lower-right corner, select Save.
Publishing Dynamics 365 Playbook Templates
You must publish a Microsoft Dynamics 365 Playbook Templates to make it available for your users.
- To publish a playbook, in the list of playbook template records, select the playbook template and on the command bar, click Publish. Or Open the playbook template and on the command bar, click Publish.
- The playbook template you’re trying to publish must contain the following:
- At least one playbook activity added.
- At least one record type to which playbook template applies.
After you publish the template, you can’t edit it. To make changes to a published playbook template, on the command bar, click Revise.