Microsoft Dynamics CRM email templates and mail merge the functionality are useful tools for the mass emails and the mass mailers. These tools are used by marketing and sales groups. Mail merge and email merge allow you to pull Dynamics CRM data, such as a person’s name, into an email, letter or fax. Using the merge functionality that allows you to personalize the message. There are 4 ways to choose the recipients of the activity:
- From any view
- Pull an advanced find
- From a marketing campaign or quick campaign
- Automatically send the email by using a workflow
There are system email templates and personalized email templates. Email templates are associated with one record type.
Microsoft Dynamics CRM email templates Include:
- How to Create a Personal Email Template
- How to Create a System Email Template
- Constructing an Email Template
- How to Use Email Templates
- How to Send Direct Emails
Create a Personal Email Template
If you create personal CRM Email Templates, you will be the only person who can see it and use it. Here’s how to do it:
- On the nav bar, on the top right choose Settings and select Options. This will open a new window.
2. Within the new window, navigate to the E-mail Templates tab.
3. To create a new template, click New. A new window will pop open.
4. Select which record type you want to associate with the template. Global is nothing but you will be able to use the template from any of the records, but you will not be able to use dynamic merge fields from any specific record except for user records. Think of Global templates as being form letters. You could pull in the dynamic user data to pull in a signature block, but would not be able to pull in the Account names dynamically. For that, you would have to create an e-mail template type of Account that would only be able to be used from account records.
5. Now you’ll create the actual template using the instructions below for Constructing an Email Template.
Create a System Email Template
Creating the system template will create it available to the whole organization. Here’s how:
1. In the navigation bar, go to Settings > Templates
2. To add a new template, select New. This will open the new window where you choose the template type. This is the same process when you make the personal template.
3. Use the drop-down list to select the Template Type.
4. Click OK to start a new template.
Constructing an Email Template
Whether you are making the personal template or the system template, the process for constructing the template is the same.
1. Enter the title, description, and subject for an email template. The title is the name of the template for the internal use, and you can include the description so that other users know what it is used for. The subject is the subject line of an email, which will be viewed by the recipient.
2. To include the merge field, on the top of the window, click to the Insert/Update. A Data Field Values dialog box will open.
3. In the new window, Data Field Values, click to the Add to include more values to the list. Other new windows will open, called Add Data Value.
4. Choose the value you want to include in the email and click OK.
5. When you are satisfied with your e-mail template, at the top of the screen, select Save & Close.
Use Email Templates in a Campaign
You can use an Email template in the Campaign, Fast Campaign or to Send a Direct Email to multiple contacts.
- First, you should make the Campaign Activity with the Channel of an E-mail.
2. On the ribbon of the campaign activity record, click Distribute Campaign Activity. A new window called New E-mails will open.
3. To add a template to the emails, check the Use Template check box.
4. Click the lookup button, and the Select Template dialog window will open.
5. Choose which template you would like to use.
6. Click to the OK to return to the distributed process.
7. Fill out the remaining criteria before clicking to the Distribute to send the template.
Send Direct Emails
You can send direct emails and use CRM Email Templates from any view or advanced find.
- Pull your advanced find
- On the ribbon, within the advanced find window, choose to the Send Direct Mail. The new dialog window called the Send Direct E-mail will open.
- On a new window, you can select the template that you wish to use. There are also an options for which the contacts you want to email.
- When you are ready to send an email, click to the Send button. WARNING: Clicking to the Send immediately sends the Emails