Dynamics NAV Architecture
The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Architecture comprises 3 core components as well as the various additional tools and the components. Use Dynamics NAV Setup to install all components.
The Dynamics NAV Three-Tier Architecture
For each deployment of the Microsoft Dynamics NAV, you must install the core components, which are the three tiers that make up the Dynamics NAV architecture.
- The RoleTailored client is the client tier, which includes a Microsoft Dynamics NAV Windows client and a Microsoft Dynamics NAV Web client. In addition to the RoleTailored client, Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2018 also supports additional client types, including web service clients and a NAS services client for programmatic access. For details on the various client types, view the Client Types.
- Microsoft Dynamics Navision Server is the middle or server tier, managing all the business logic and communication.
- The SQL Server, augmented by Microsoft Dynamics NAV database components, is the data tier. If you deploy the Dynamics NAV in the multitenant deployment architecture, the data tier consists of the application database and one or more tenant databases. You can have the multiple instances of any of the core components in the production environment. The below diagram shows the simple installation with 2 Microsoft Dynamics NAV Windows clients and the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Web client connecting to a single Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server computer, which in turn connects to the computer with the SQL Server and the Dynamics Navision database components.
Some common configurations are:
- All three components on the same computer. This configuration is for the demo install and is for the development environment so that a developer can work on Dynamics NAV applications without worrying about network connections and inter-component security. See Walkthrough: Installing the Demo Version.
- RoleTailored client and Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server on the same computer, data tier on a separate computer. This scenario is described in the Walkthrough: Installing the 3 Tiers On 2 Computers.
- Each of the 3 tiers on the separate computer. This scenario is described in the Walkthrough: Installing the 3 Tiers on 3 Computers.
In addition to the 3 core components, there are many additional components that enhance or supplement the core components.
|Microsoft Dynamics NAV support Server||A website with the Support content for Dynamics NAV in the languages that your version of Dynamics NAV includes. You can deploy a single Support Server for all users, or customer-specific Help Servers, depending on your requirements.|
|Web Server Components. See How to: Install the Web Server Components.||The components that are needed to enable the Microsoft Dynamics Navision Web clients to connect with a browser.|
|Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server Administration Tool||The tool for configuring and managing the Microsoft Dynamics Navision Server and Dynamics NAV sites.|
|Development Environment (C/SIDE)||The Development Environment for creating and modifying the Dynamics Navision applications in C/AL.|
|Microsoft Office Outlook Add-In||A component for synchronizing data, such as to-dos, contacts, and tasks, between Dynamics NAV and Outlook.|
|Automated Data Capture System||A Dynamics NAV tool for accurately capturing data for inbound, outbound, and internal documents, primarily in connection with warehouse activities. With Automated Data Capture System, the company employees use handheld devices and the radio frequency technology to continuously validate warehouse inventories.|
|ClickOnce Installer Tools. See Deploying Microsoft Dynamics NAV Using ClickOnce.||the set of tools designed to create ClickOnce deployments for apps for the Microsoft Dynamics Navision Windows client.|